Nichiren Daishonin refers to the practice of chanting Daimoku as “the actual practice of the five characters of Nam-Myōhō-Renge-Kyō”. Actual practice here means chanting Daimoku in terms of both Faith & Practice.
5 things one must never forget about Daimoku:
- The two aspects of Daimoku are:
Daimoku of Faith – to believe in the Gohonzon
Daimoku of Practice – to chant Nam-Myōhō-Renge-Kyō and spread it (kosen-rufu).
- Daimoku is an unerring practice for us to gain enlightenment, through a strong and thoroughly forged “deep faith” that our lives are entities of The Mystic Law and chanting Daimoku will definitely help us defeat the fundamental darkness inherent in our lives. The Daishonin aptly says, “If you chant Myōhō-Renge-Kyō with deep faith in this principle, you are certain to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime”.
- Daimoku is a practice that aims for the happiness of both oneself and others. Its essence lies in chanting not only for ourselves but also teaching it to others and helping all of us to reveal our innate Buddhahood.
- Daimoku is “faith dedicated to kosen-rufu”.
It is characterised by:
- very intense and deep faith forged towards overcoming darkness & devilish functions, and
- practicing for both ourselves and others.
- Our Daimoku must always produce the sound of the “Lion’s roar”, as is created by the mentor and the disciple chanting together!
In Soka Gakkai International (SGI), all members who chant Daimoku with their faith dedicated towards kosen-rufu actually chant with the same “fighting spirit” as that of their mentors, the 1st, 2nd & existing president, Mr. Makiguchi , Mr. Toda and Mr. Ikeda respectively. So the kind of Daimoku with this united fighting spirit and the lion’s roar reflect the strong “mentor-disciple spirit” of the SGI which is aimed at achieving the great desire of the happiness of all humankind.
Let us chant vigorous & abundant Daimoku with continuously deepening Faith that will be the royal road to achieving enlightenment and attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime.
The views expressed in this article are through my understanding of the concept of Daimoku, from my own experience of chanting it as well as from the book, “Lectures on On attaining Buddhahood in this Lifetime” by Daisaku Ikeda.
To know more about chanting of The Mystic Law, read Shiti Gautam's articles on her website, http://www.togetherwechant.com under the blogs & explore sections. Testimonials are the actual proof of victories achieved for others by chanting for them. Contribute yours too!
You may also want to be a part of this Mission through our social media handles:
Latest posts by Shiti Gautam (see all)
- 7 Important Benefits of having Your Own Digital Daimoku Diary! - September 30, 2018
- The Best Advice You Could Ever Get About Daily Gongyo and Daimoku! - March 16, 2018
- Can Success in Exams be achieved simply through chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo? - March 10, 2018